Friday, December 5, 2008

Almond-flavored stew?

Oh man, back to my little angel...hell's angel that is...okay, not that bad. But as I was making dinner tonight, Elise was sitting on the counter "helping" me stir the stew. When I started putting some spices in, she started rummaging through the spice cupboard herself and pulling things out saying, "this one!" After telling her no, that this was mommy's job, I turn my back for a second and turn back to find her dumping the rest of my almond extract bottle into the stew! I screamed, got mad, stared in disbelief and disappointment, then turned to find my crying, dejected three-year-old (no longer on the counter as I had removed her to the floor) standing in a puddle of pee, covering her eyes from the shame of her wrong-doings! Oh man, I'm laughing about it now, she was so cute and so sad... But don't worry, after cleaning up her pee, we hugged and made it all better.

But I was still faced with it being 5pm, stew that smelled like poppy seed muffins, and the choice to finish making it (and risk wasting more food) or to just start over with something else. It may not seem like a big dilemma, just throw out the almond-flavored stew you say, but no. A lot was invested in that. I mean, it's not every day I make a meal from scratch (okay, I'll admit that that is a pretty rare occurrence these days), plus I had actually used real stew meat. I mean, come on, does depressed economy mean anything to anyone? I just can't go around throwing food away, especially on rare occasions we actually eat red meat. Anyway...so there was my dilemma. When I finally had addressed the Elise issue and sent her away to watch TV (thank you Ruff Ruff man, my dinner prep saving grace), I tasted the stew to see how bad the damage was. And you know what? It wasn't too bad. I mean, it had a very distinct almond flavor to it...but hey, I like poppy seed muffins. Yeah, it all turned out okay. The best part was, my kids even ate the stew.

7 comments:

emily said...

oh, man, that's so great! accidental cooking genius--maybe i should take my kids suggestions more often and they'll eat the meals that i've just spiced to my liking. no they're pretty good eaters. i can totally see elise in her pile of shame--poor thing--i've put alli there way too often. these little girls have such an enormous sense of shame and helpfulness. i hear you on the stew meat investment--i couldn't just throw it out. but i'm really interested in how it tasted--will you try to recreate it, should WE try it?

emily said...

oh, and isn't almond extract a liquor?--maybe that's why they ate it ;)

Anonymous said...

That is too funny, Mel! I nearly wet my pants laughing so hard. Maybe you've come upon a new recipe, or I should say Elise has come upon a new recipe to send to Martha Stewart! Elise's "helpfulness" will come in handy some day!

Ticklemedana said...

now that's funny from the fact that you ate the stew to the fact that you, quite literally, scared the pee out of your daughter!!! this made my day....and the poppy seed muffin thing is STILL making me giggle...=)

Todd and Amyjoy said...

too funny! good for you for trying it anyway.
the whole story will be perfect for when, hmm Elise is about 15 with a room full of friends! hee hee.

Rebecca said...

She's just on her way to becoming a culinary genius.

These Four Walls said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! (That's me laughing my head off)